Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Preparing

I realized lately that I have spent more time preparing to teach next year than I have studying God's word. I came to this realization when I was, somewhat simultaneously, asked about a scripture reference and a history date. I couldn't recall the reference, the date was easy. I don't really expect myself to be a walking Bible concordance, but I would like to think that I was familiar enough with scripture to at least get the right book, even the right testament. The history fact, on the other hand, I could give with no hesitation and even add in a little tidbit of little known information, mostly to show off.
I wonder if I have become someone who squeezes God in when I have time. I know I can talk pretty well, but I realized that this summer, when I have nothing but time, I have rarely made an effort to communicate with God. What will happen when I don't have the time?
It seems a little ridiculous to be admitting this to a group of friends and strangers. Maybe this is my way of assuaging a little guilt. Maybe, just maybe, someone else feels the same way I do - that they aren't really making the effort. Don't join this club. Do something about it - that's what I plan to do. Happy reading to you, may you be convicted where conviction is needed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home