Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tragedy

In the past week it seems that tragedy has hit my friends with a sledge hammer. First, some friends from Germany lost their infant daughter to heart problems. Now Becs, and others that I know from Blacksburg, face the shock of a huge tragedy.
It's all enough to make a person's brain (and heart) hurt. I know that in both situations the question that will arise is "Where was God in all of this?" Our tendency, when we want to make God like us, is to say that God could not have ordained these things to happen. The truth is that God is completely sovereign, not only over the great moments in our lives but over the terrible ones as well. Do I completely understand this - not hardly. Do I completely accept this - I'm working on it. Do I completely believe this - absolutely.
It's easy to focus on the tragedy and get lost in the grief of the situation. In both cases I have already heard God praised for what he has done. Nothing is done with out purpose, nothing is done in vain, and ultimately all things, even tragedy, work to the glory of God. (Hallelujah!) Now, can I say with Job, "Though he slay me, yet will I trust him."? I know several people who can, and I pray, with confidence, that when it is my time in life to face that situation, I will be able to say with resiliency "I trust in the name of the Lord my God" - Psalm 20:7

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home